Recommended Servers?

Recommended Servers?

Postby Pvt. Ryan » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:52 am

I just brought this game a few days back, waiting for it to arrive(DVD w/ Steam activation, I think). While I'm waiting, anyone know any good servers to play on? I read it's mostly TDM and hardly any zombies.

Also, the campaign is co-op right? I'd love to try that. I played the multiplayer split screen and sys link a lot back in the day on 360, but never the co-op campaign. Really hope that part still works. :D
Pvt. Ryan
Donator

Re: Recommended Servers?

Postby Terminator » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:41 am

Most of the servers are dying. You can check it in server tracker.
|KinG|Cpt.Terminator
Terminator

Postby Pvt. Ryan » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:35 am

Ok, I just looked it up on Gametracker and I see what you mean; not a whole lot of servers, really, and most are empty. I did see that namelessnoobs has a server so that's kool. Reckon I'll be on that one in a few days. ;)
Pvt. Ryan
Donator

Postby Pvt. Ryan » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:29 pm

CoD5 finally arrived yesterday! Attempted to install it today and right at the start after putting in the Serial Key during the "registering components" it hung for a really long time then I got two error msgs that read: "Data Transfer Error" - Bad sector, and also "Data Transfer Error" - Looping data transfer(or something like that, anyway). So I canceled the install and pop the disc out and sure enough, it was smudged and scratched(no deep ones tho) :/

Not to be deterred, I carefully cleaned it with a damp cloth, dried it, popped it back into my DVD drive and loaded up ImgBurn and created an .iso from the disc. Then I attempted to install from the .iso and it completed without issue! Also, no Steam Activation required, which surprised me, tbh. I had read all retail CoDs after MW required this. I know MW2 does as I brought the DVD version for someone recently.

I'm downloading all the patches now then I guess I'll get the pb update if required. My online profile name in WaW is Pvt_Ryan777. :D
Pvt. Ryan
Donator

Postby Pvt. Ryan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:17 am

This game is awesome! It has tanks in multiplayer! And when your ally is driving a tank, you can hop on the machine gun! It's amazing! ...super late to this party... :mrgreen:

A warning to anyone who may read this and is thinking about buying WaW on Steam: I found out in chat in-game that treyarch messed up the game the last time they patched it on Steam so anyone who buys it on Steam now can't make a profile for multiplayer. Apparently this happened quite a while back and still hasn't been fixed yet. So, if you want to buy it, buy the retail DVD version and manually update it to version 1.7.

However, if you get the patches from the WaW page on pcgamingwiki.com, you'll find that the downloads for the first few patches and the last one work fine but some of the patch downloads in the middle (v1.4 - v1.5 and v1.5 - v1.6) require special permission(however this msg doesn't show up until AFTER it's finished downloading and then promptly blocks and kills it, like wtf!) So you'll have to find them elsewhere. I got those two patches from moddb.com but their kinda buried several pages deep in the WaW files tab. This site has them all(except v1.7?) and I saw it recommended elsewhere afterwards: http://www.callofdutyview.net/downloads/

Also the DVD version uses SafeDisc DRM for the Singleplayer/Co-op/Zombies executable and SafeDisc DRM doesn't work on Win 10( I kept getting "insert the CD" msgs when attempting to play single player even when my disc was in the drive. Tried mounting the .iso I made previously to install the game and same "insert CD" msg), so you'll have to find a no cd/dvd CoDWaW.exe just to play the campaign on Win 10. The multiplayer executable doesn't have any DRM and doesn't even require the DVD in the drive, apparently, so that's nice.

Anyway, people around here probably already have this game so maybe all that info isn't terribly useful. Just thought I'd share my experience getting WaW up and running today. :D
Pvt. Ryan
Donator

Return to Call of Duty 5: World at War