Monitors

The hub for everything related to |KinG| and our servers.

Monitors

Postby Fuzzy Dunlop » Sun May 24, 2020 1:26 pm

Hi,
Is anybody here up on monitors and can share advice?

Now that I am working from home, the screen on my 15" MacBook Pro just isn't cutting it and I need an external monitor. I also play COD on this machine, so a side-benefit of a bigger screen should be that my COD gameplay will improve, or at least I hope so. I'd like to keep this to under or around $500US

I'm no tech wizard, and the choices are baffling. I'm thinking 27", 4k or 1440, with USB-C connectors. 60hz should be fine for most things, but do I want something higher to help with CODD? is 5ms response time good enough?

I'm looking at:
Dell UltraSharp 27 4K USB-C Monitor: U2720QM
Benq EW2780U Entertainment Monitor with HDRi Technology

Any suggestions?
Fuzzy Dunlop
Donator

Re: Monitors

Postby Terminator » Sun May 24, 2020 3:50 pm

What are your graphic card settings?
|KinG|Cpt.Terminator
Terminator

Monitors

Postby Talek » Sun May 24, 2020 4:07 pm

Hello Fuzzy,

nowadays, there is a really wide selection, so choose one particular monitor and say it's the one that will work best for you is impossible. However, if you want some advice, it is definitely best to choose a monitor that has a refresh rate > 60Hz. 144Hz or 240Hz monitors are really a big difference from the classic 60Hz and once you try it, you don't want anything else.

As for the panel itself, I would avoid the TN panel, which has a very small response time, but the colors are really bad and the viewing angles are tragic. VA panels are a compromise between IPS and TN panels, the biggest problem with them is the "ghosting" + dead pixels are black and are therefore visible. Colors and viewing angles are better than TN panels, but it depends on the piece of monitor you get. For me, the best choice is the IPS panel, which is usually more expensive and has a slightly worse response time (4ms). IPS panels have great colors, excellent viewing angles and also the contrast is quite good. 144/240Hz IPS monitors are more affordable today and in my opinion, there will be no problem to choose one which cost less than 500$. As for choosing a specific brand, I would stick to the manufacturers who make monitors as their primary products - LG, Benq, Dell, Asus, iiyama or Samsung. The choice of a specific one is up to you.

As for the resolution, 1440p is quite sufficient for me. I don't know if it will be easy to get a monitor that has USB-C, but I hope you will find one!

So to sum it up... what would I recommend? IPS panel, 144/240Hz, 1440p resolution, 27"+, and the response time less than 6ms.

I wish you good luck with your choice and I hope I helped at least a little!
|KinG|Sgt.Talek
Talek

Postby Fuzzy Dunlop » Sun May 24, 2020 4:41 pm

Talek,
That is very helpful indeed. Many thanks!
I will follow your advice on those points, though I'm tempted to go 4k if I can keep it in my price range. But since I am usually 3 feet from my monitor, 1440 may do.
Thanks again,
Fuzzy
Fuzzy Dunlop
Donator

Postby Fuzzy Dunlop » Sun May 24, 2020 4:42 pm

Terminator,
AFAIK, the only setting I can change on the Mac graphics card is to tell it skip power-saving mode and use the higher-performing card exclusively
Fuzzy Dunlop
Donator

Monitors

Postby Talek » Sun May 24, 2020 5:05 pm

You're welcome, Fuzzy. I look at the problem that is being solved in your second topic, I will try to find some information and help you.

If you want 4k, I don't think you can get a monitor that has a refresh rate of 144/240Hz, which of course doesn't matter (it's just a big bonus if you like playing games). The most important thing is that the monitor suits you! There are always compromises. After all, what I wrote you is just my opinion.

If you will use the monitor more for work than for gaming, then it makes sense to go to a higher resolution (4k) and stay at a refresh rate of 60Hz.

I'm also not sure a few things:
1) I have no idea if UCB-C supports 144Hz. From what I've read on the internet, there are adapters that can convert UCB-C to HDMI. But UCB-C should work on its own (perhaps).

2) I don't know if Call of Duty 2 supports resolutions bigger than 1080p. Maybe yes, because you use Macbook Pro 2018 which has resolution 2560×1600(?) pixels. Or the game just downscales to a lower resolution.
|KinG|Sgt.Talek
Talek

Return to Discussion